Imagine that you have to complete a project, or ten. Suppose after you have formed a team together for each project, you start working on all of the tasks and documents which are needed to finish the project. You are emailing documents back and forth to your team members, and everybody has a distinct version of the report on their device.
Individual members of the team might not have the essential documents as they were created on any other person’s computer. The discussions regarding the tasks for the project gets lost in the ever-growing pile of emails and walking from section to section or department to department to talk to a team member is tiring and time-consuming.
If you face issues like these, then it seems like you need an application which was designed to assist a team in achieving a common goal more efficiently. Collaboration software applications are the answer.
Both Confluence, as well as SharePoint, is the best options when it comes to picking the most efficient collaboration tool.
In this article, we shall examine the pros and cons of SharePoint and Confluence to help you in deciding one amongst the two.
What do Microsoft SharePoint and Confluence have in common?
Confluence, as well as SharePoint, is robust collaboration software which allows a group of people to work on sites together and efficiently manage the documents. Both of them can be accessed from the internet. Therefore it is easy for the user to work on their project from any device. Moreover, Confluence is entirely cloud-based software, whereas SharePoint provides the users cloud-based option. Therefore, the team members can work on the most recent version of the documents from their own devices.
Here are some features which are included in both of the software:-
- Reliable customer support.
- Free trial, however, the users will have to create and set up a Microsoft account t in order to get access to the free trial for SharePoint.
- Email integration.
- Editing in real-time
- Discussion board which allows the users to share views and comments with their teams regarding their work.
- Team Calendar
- iPhone application.
- Project management features.
Advantages of Confluence
- Intuitive User-Interface
- Documents are easy to upload.
- There are pre-made templates for the user
- Access available for revision history.
- Close integration with Atlassian’s JIRA and HipChat
Disadvantages of Confluence
- Substantial price gaps amongst various plans.
- It has lesser number of features as compared to Microsoft SharePoint.
- It is entirely cloud-based; hence it depends on access to the internet.
Advantages of Microsoft SharePoint
- It can be customized as you wish.
- The user can use SharePoint for public-facing websites.
- It has an advanced search feature.
- It has over 1000 add-ons.
- It integrates tightly with Microsoft Office suite.
- It contains built-in chat; therefore, there is no need for integrations.
Disadvantages of Microsoft SharePoint
- Migration is challenging.
- Updates affect the customizations.
- It is heavy weight and needs a lot of space along with configuration.
Microsoft SharePoint is a better choice for businesses who don’t mind spending a little more on buying software. A major chunk of Fortune 500 companies uses MS SharePoint. Moreover, it is closely integrated with Microsoft Office. The customization feature of SharePoint allows the users to make better-looking documents. You can get SharePoint along with Office 365 suite at office.com/setup.