Torrents bear a bad reputation in terms of legality and copyrights, and particular BitTorrent is inaccessible on Chromebook. Still, there are multiple other Torrent options available.
As every coin have two sides to it, it is believed that Torrents help people in downloading illegal content like pirated movies and songs, but it can also be used for sharing files and documents by not limiting it to any singular server and crashing it, instead it provides a vast file sharing domain to share documents worldwide.
Before downloading any Torrents to your Chromebook, you should consider installing VPN software to prevent your system from catching any malware or virus as various open source files consist of them.
Also by having a VPN installed on your Chromebook, you can ensure safety from your service provider as they keep an eye on every user using Torrent and will prevent you from using them.
You can avail JSTorrent from the Chrome web store for 3$ which does not include free or trial version. You can use JSTorrent in place of BitTorrent on Chromebook to access all the shareable files. But remember that you have to set your download directory when you access JSTorrent for the first time.
Follow the steps given below to customize the download directory for JSTorrent on your Chromebook.
- Head to the “Settings” and then hit “Choose” option next to “File Download Location”.
- Now in the download folder in chrome browser file, select “New folder”.
- Now set JSTorrent to automatically open the magnet links which are used to share videos.
- Now choose “Setup” option and then choose “Allow” from the new window and then click the “Done” option.
To download a Torrent file follow these steps.
- First, select the “Magnet link” of the file you want to download.
- Now open your files app and choose the JSTorrent by right-clicking on it.
- Now your Torrent will start to download, and you can keep an eye on this Window to undermine the progress status.
As Chromebooks can support Linux apps and software, you can also opt for Deluge to download Torrents from it. Deluge runs on Linux based Operating System, and it is also free of cost to use.
But before installing Deluge on your system, you have to enable your Linux App support to access it. After enabling your Linux app support, follow the given steps that are given below.
- Launch the Terminal app.
- Now you have toenter “sudo apt-get install deluge” and then hit enter.
- Press the “Y” key on your keyboard and hit enter to initiate with the installation.
- Close the terminal app after the installation is complete.
- Now launch the “Files app” and right-click on the targeted Torrent file that you want to download and select the “copy” option.
- Select the Linux file on the left-hand side and right-click again and paste the file.
- Launch the Deluge app and select “Add Torrent” from the top and then choose the “File” option.
- Now in the files document search for your username and double click on the Linux file you copied.
- Press “Add” to start the downloading of the torrent.
You can also use the URL to download your torrent file. To do so select the “Add torrent” option and choose the “URL” and paste the URL in the field and press “OK”.
You can use any of the given alternatives to download your desired torrent file on your Chromebook. Still, try to use rated torrents by other users to reduce the risk of any malware or virus sneaking into your Chromebook while downloading torrents.
John Martin is a Microsoft Office expert and has been working in the technical industry since 2002. As a technical expert, Samuel has written technical blogs, manuals, white papers, and reviews for many websites such as office.com/setup.